Today we have some wonderful Vegan Quesadillas, perfect for a Mexican dinner or a greedy snack.
I love quesadillas and we make them several times at home. They are not always vegan, but since we like to try new recipes, we venture out.
But I’ll start right away by telling you why these vegan quesadillas are great:
- They are super easy to make.
- They are perfect for lunch or dinner, but also as a snack.
- They are healthy and light.
- They are made in the frying pan, but you can make them in the oven, so they can be placed all at once and go warm to the table.
- They contain wonderful ingredients that are very easy to find (you probably have them handy at home).
- The vegan cheese is homemade and you can use the leftovers for pasta, a toast or you can even use it as a dip.
- And believe me, even the kids will like it!
Are these enough reasons to try this recipe?
How to make these vegan quesadillas?
The vegan quesadillas are made like any other quesadilla, with the difference that the vegan cheese is homemade and is made from roasted pumpkin.
There are several types of vegan cheese and you can use the recipe you like best. I especially like this one because it is nut free.
Besides, I really like the slight flavor and creaminess of the pumpkin.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Pre-baked pumpkin
- Coconut milk
- Nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- Cumin powder
- Tumeric powder
- Paprika powder
- Minced garlic or garlic powder
- Onion powder (optional)
What are the tricks for making perfect vegan quesadillas?
- The biggest trick is to get the vegan cheese just the right creaminess. That is, extra creamy! ahah that’s how I like it. And with extra creamy, also comes the extra cheese flavor and so I don’t skimp on the nutritional yeast.
- Don’t use frozen spinach, as it leaks a lot of water. Fresh spinach works best in this recipe.
- Don’t overfill the quesadillas, so you can fold them easily and it will be easier to handle them in the pan.
- Let them brown on both sides to make them crispier and eat them right away.
Let’s check the step by step?
For the cheese
- ¼ large pumpkin previously roasted in the oven should roast for about 30min at 200º or until very soft
- 1 can coconut milk kept in the fridge only the solid part
- 2 cloves garlic or 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 2 tsp onion powder optional
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast adjust according to your taste
Para as quesadillas
- 4 wraps
- Olive oil to taste
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 handfull fresh spinach
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1 tsp Tumeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- Fresh coriander to taste
For the cheese
- Start by removing the pulp from the pumpkin and placing it in a food processor or blender.
- Add the solid part of the coconut milk and blend at maximum speed for 1 min.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend again until creamy.
- Taste a little to see if you need more nutritional yeast.
- If it is not creamy, add a little of the liquid part of the coconut milk and grind again until you get a creamy mixture.
for the quesadillas
- Put a dash of olive oil in a pan and let it heat up over medium-high heat.
- Add a portion of the sliced mushrooms, so that they are not on top of each other. This way the mushrooms will be crispier and have less water.
- Let them cook, stirring occasionally, until they are browned.
- Add a pinch of salt and cook for a few more seconds.
- Set aside and repeat the process with the remaining mushrooms.
- Put a dash of olive oil back in the pan and when hot add the onion and let it brown.
- Add the spinach and cook for 1 min.
- Add the seasonings, stir well, and set aside along with the mushrooms.
- Place 1 tortilla in the frying pan, spread with the vegan cheese and on one half place the mushroom and spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle with coriander.
- Fold the tortilla in half and let it brown on one side.
- Turn the quesadilla over and let it brown on the opposite side.
- Repeat the process with all the quesadillas.
- Cut the quesadillas into 3 pieces and serve.