Unbelievably moist, lightened vanilla poppy seeds cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Flavoured with vanilla and topped with a magical chocolate frosting, these are divine!
These vanilla poppy seeds cupcakes are all you need to make your day even more delightful. These delights are very healthy, with no refined sugar added. They are a perfect suggestion for the most romantic day of the year.
Cupcakes are always very delicate cakes. Owners of a fluffy and moist pastry. Topped with a delicious cream. They are a sophisticated cake. Cupcakes are the cakes that generate queues in patisseries. But you don’t need to queue up at the bakery for a delicious cupcake. You can make your own cupcakes. This vanilla poppy seeds cupcakes recipe is simply amazing. I’m sure, after you make it the first time, you’ll want to make it again and again.
The most romantic day of the year is coming up and this recipe is perfect for sharing. A cupcake is definitely the dessert that embodies Love. Wouldn’t you agree with me? A fluffy pastry with a delicious cream on top and the fresh raspberries make these cupcakes really amazing.
The origin of the Cupcake
The first mention of a cupcake recipe in the world of pastry was in a book in 1796. However, as the name suggests, the recipe proposed baking the cake in a cup. In fact, we still do it this way today. However there was an evolution in the world of pastry. These small cakes started to be baked in individual molds.
It was only in 1996 that cupcakes started to be sold in patisseries. Nowadays they can be filled and have a delicious topping. Chocolate, fruit or cream, you only have to choose what you like best.
A curious fact:
The Cupcake has a special day in the United States, it’s celebrated on December 15.
However, I consider this cake so sweet, delicate and romantic, that I think it should be celebrated on February 14 … On Valentine’s Day.
How to make your Valentine’s Day even more romantic
A treat for your sweetie! It could be the perfect motto for this special day.
The truth, is that every day is a day of love, of romance. So, my suggestion is to make Valentine’s Day even more special. You can prepare these healthy cupcakes together. Open a wine or prepare this Strawberry Gin Cocktail and enjoy. Top the cupcakes with fresh fruit, chocolate frosting and chocolate shavings.
Ingredients in healthy vanilla poppy seeds cupcakes
These vanilla poppy seeds cupcakes are made especially for all vanilla cakes lovers. They are fluffy, tender, perfectly moist with pops of vanilla flavour in every bite.
Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Brown sugar
- Buttermilk (or milk with vinegar – I used plant based milk)
- Olive oil
- Oat flour
- Poppy seeds
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
For the frosting you’ll need:
- Cocoa powder (with no added sugars – preferably raw cocoa)
- Maple syrup
- Milk (or plant based milk) if needed
- Raspberries to decorate
How are these lightened up?
Easy substitutes: Instead of using a bunch of butter to make a moist cupcake, I substituted with some buttermilk and a little bit of olive oil to make them healthier.
Brown sugar: use a less refined and more flavoured sugar. Brown sugar will give a slight caramel aroma.
Reduced-fat frosting: Instead of full fat cheese, I used the healthy kind of fat and opted for avocado and chocolate to top it.
Why will everyone love these Vanilla Poppy Seeds Cupcakes?
- It’s a recipe with healthier ingredients. And gluten free.
- It’s sweet, but not too sweet. It’s low in sugar.
- Great for celebrating, whatever the occasion is.
- It’s perfect to take in the lunch box if you don’t use frosting (to be more practical).
- It tastes delicious with a warm tea.
- It’s the perfect recipe to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your other half.
Tips for the perfect Vanilla Poppy Seeds Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting:
- Make sure you beat the egg yolks with the sugar to make a creamier mixture and therefore a fluffier cake.
- Use olive oil to intensify the flavor.
- Sift the flour to make a thiner batter.
- Do not beat the mixture too much when adding the egg whites, try to incorporate it gently because we don’t want to much air in the mixture.
- Use ripe avocados for a creamier and even frosting.
- Make sure to use cocoa powder as it is unsweetned resulting in a richer frosting (also healthier).
- Mapple syrup for the frosting is a must because its a liquid sweetner, so the frosting gets very nice and cramy with no lumps.
Find out more delicious recipes:
Now, find the full recipe and make your special days even sweeter.
Vanilla poppy seeds cupcakes with chocolate frosting.
Vanilla Poppy Seeds Cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk with vinegar - I used plant based milk)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 3/4 cups oat flour
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (with no added sugars - preferably raw cocoa)
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup (a bit more if you want it sweeter)
- 2 tbsp milk (or plant based milk) if needed
- Raspberries to decorate
Vanilla Poppy Seeds Cupcakes
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff and set them aside.
- Whip the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Add the vanilla, the vegetable milk-vinegar mixture, and the olive oil and mix.
- Add the previously sifted or freshly sifted flour and mix well until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Add the poppy seeds and mix all together.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda and stir gently.
- Place in muffin molds. If they are silicone, no need to grease.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 150 degrees for 35 to 40 min, so they don't get dry. Allow to cool before unmolding.
- Place the avocado, cocoa powder and maple syrup in a blender and mix.
- If it is difficult to obtain a homogeneous and creamy mixture, add the vegetable milk.
- Place the mixture in a piping bag and decorate the cupcakes.
- Place some raspberries on top to embellish.
- You can use spelt flour, wheat flour or whole wheat.
- Put some lemon or orange zest in the cake batter, it gives a citrus aroma and tastes very good.
- Decorate with the fruit of your choice, for example strawberries, blueberries or even mandarin slices. They are perfect fruits for Valentine's Day.