Super tasty Turkish Eggs with Feta Cheese
A good egg recipe is one that goes well with everything and these Turkish Eggs go really well on any occasion, especially for egg lovers!
Here at home eggs are one of the foods that can never go missing in the refrigerator. They are super versatile and are truly lifesavers on those days when we need something fast and uncomplicated.
And speaking of uncomplicated recipes here is a pretty good recipe that is not complicated at all and doesn’t even take that long.
15 min is all you need to make these super tasty Turkish eggs and believe me, once you tried you’ll never go back! Yep, they are that good!
This recipe is perfect for those that are less handy in the kitchen, and due to their versatility, they are a must-know recipe!
It uses pretty simple ingredients, all of which you probably have in your pantry. And all the spices/seasonings are quite easy to find even in the supermarket.
So there are no excuses to not make this recipe!
Tradition has it that they are eaten for breakfast, but for me, they are also good for lunch or dinner. Or even that naughty afternoon snack when you’re in the mood for something yummy.
Or who knows a brunch? Ok, they are great on pretty much every occasion!
If you travel to Turkey, you will realize that this recipe is mainly made with white cheese (to be totally honest, I don’t know exactly which cheese is it), but for the sake of uncomplicating, I adapted the recipe to the ingredients I can find.
This is the beauty of cooking, you can always make your own version and give your own touch to the recipe you make!
How to make these Turkish Eggs?
There are no big secrets here. Just mix the feta well with the water until it becomes a creamy, velvety mixture.
The mixture doesn’t need to be very uniform. Personally, I like feeling little crumbs here and there.
Add the olive oil mixed with the spices to give flavor to the dish, and let the eggs cook slightly for a wonderful explosion! You can make the eggs the way you want, but the best way is to eat this creamy feta with runny poached eggs (runny eggs are the best).
And then, add the pita bread and you’ll see that you won’t want anything else. This is just perfection!
For this recipe you will need:
- Feta cheese
- Water or milk or vegetable milk of choice
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Pita or Syrian-type bread
What are the tricks to get these Turkish Eggs right?
- Crush the feta cheese well with a fork and mix it with the water until it forms a creamy mixture.
- If you want an even creamier and more glutinous paste, use milk or vegetable milk of choice as it allows a more velvety texture when combined together.
- Season the feta paste to give it more flavor.
- Add salt and vinegar to a pot with water for the poached egg water. This allows the eggs to get softer and cook just until the egg white is cooked. The yolk is great when you burst it and it’s liquid.
- Make the flavored olive oil, which adds incredible flavor to the dish.
- For freshness, add fresh herbs, in this case, dill makes it all.
Let’s check this recipe step by step?
- 1 cup diced feta cheese
- ½ cup water or milk or vegetable milk of choice
- Pepper to taste
- 2 c. chá garlic powder
- A dash of olive oil
- 1 c. chá paprika or smoked paprika
- 2 eggs
- Dill to sprinkle
- 2 pita breads
- Start by crushing the feta cheese with a fork.
- Add the water (or milk/vegetable milk of choice) and mix well until you get a creamy paste.
- Season with pepper and garlic powder and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the olive oil and paprika and mix well. Set aside.
- Boil water in a pot with salt and vinegar. As soon as it boils, lower the heat and add the eggs.
- Once poached, place the eggs on top of the feta mixture and drizzle with the paprika oil.
- Sprinkle with dill for freshness.
- Serve with pita bread.