Stuffed Sweet Potato Bread recipe, are you really going to resist?!
Yes, you heard right! Or in this case, you read it right. ahah Today this is the recipe, very Portuguese and very tasty.
Did I tempt your gluttony? I think so, but you won’t regret it because this bread is great!
I’ve been wanting to make Sweet Potato Bread for a long time. I had a great recipe, but I couldn’t find it (I did now! Shame on me! ahah) and so I decided to do a huge search to find the perfect recipe.
The purpose? To take advantage of this quarantine to give my parents a special treat, they deserve it!
Everything’s been going crazy with all this and as my therapy consists of my time in the kitchen, I decided to make a tasty recipe, Portuguese style, that reminds us of such good things! Such as Sweet Potato Bread (i.e., Bolo do Caco), a type of bread traditional from Madeira island made with sweet potato.
In fact, eating Sweet Potato Bread reminds me of those good vacations we spent in Madeira, more exactly in Porto Santo. Aiii I miss it so much.
In the absence of some beautiful limpets, this recipe of Sweet Potato Bread was good enough to satiate my nostalgia. eheh
But back to my research… I’ve been looking for lots of recipes, methods, and ingredients that could make my Sweet Potato Bread special and very tasty, without wasting too much time. We’re in quarantine, but we have to work anyway.
That’s when I checked the site of beloved Rui from Faz e Come, which I love!
I was sure I was in the right place. And well, it was his recipe that really inspired me: easy, fast, and with few ingredients!
Everything I was looking for.
But since making Sweet Potato Bread wasn’t enough for me, as I wanted to prepare a complete recipe, I decided to take some chicken breasts I had at home and create a very tasty filling.
Yeah, at this point you have to use what you have at home, but I’m honest, I didn’t feel like making the traditional chicken hamburger.
I made a stuffing of shredded chicken with tomato sauce (I used a can of peeled tomatoes, of course. You have to take advantage of canned food!), and it was amazing!
I don’t know where all this inspiration came from, but the truth is that I made a nice surprise! My parents loved it, and besides devouring this meal, they asked for more! Eheh
Is there any greater compliment than this? Especially coming from those who are dear to us! (Just imagine all the emojis and some more here!).
How do you make this Stuffed Sweet Potato Bread?
To begin with, you should prepare all your ingredients. This will help you save time and your kitchen won’t be a huge mess!
Boiling the sweet potatoes until they are soft is essential. They should have a very soft consistency so that you can puree them.
By the way, did you know that Sweet Potato Bread is made from sweet potatoes? That’s right!
Make sure you have dry baker’s yeast. This recipe can be made with baking powder, but the result will not be the same.
The dough needs to rise to get the soft and fluffy consistency of the real Sweet Potato Bread (which is a sacred secret of Madeira Island).
As for the dry baker’s yeast, it will have to be activated with the help of warm water so that the dough can rise.
What follows is a game of patience, because you have to wait for the dough to rise. But it is worth it!
To make the filling there are two secrets to keep in mind: you need a mixer to make your life easier, and soy sauce to enhance the flavor
Stuffed Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
For the bolo do caco
- 1 large sweet potato
- 370 gr wheat flour
- 1/2 sachet dry bakers' yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 pinch salt
For the chicken with tomato sauce
- 2 breasts chicken
- 1 can peeled tomato
- Olive oil to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 csp paprika
- Oregano to taste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 large onion
- 2 tomatoes in rounds
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 drizzle honey
For the bolo do caco
- Start by washing the sweet potato well and cutting it into about 6 equal-sized slices.
- Place the sweet potato slices into a pot and cover them in water.
- Let it cook for approximately 30 minutes or until they get truly soft (a pure-like consistency).
- Remove from heat, rinse under cold water, and remove the peel from the sweet potato.
- Crush it with a fork or a food processor until it is pureed.
- Put the sweet potato in a bowl, along with the flour.
- Add the dry baker's yeast, as well as the lukewarm water and salt.
- Mix very well with the help of a fork or your hands.
- Once a more consistent mixture is formed, knead well with your hands until the dough is uniform.
- Place the dough in a container dusted with flour, so that it doesn't stick, and cover it with a kitchen towel. Set aside.
- Let it rise for about 1 to 2 hours, or until it doubles in size.
- Arrange the dough on a flat surface and divide it into approximately 8 small balls.
- Place the dough balls on a baking tray at least 2 cm apart.
- Sprinkle with flour and cover with a cloth.
- Let rise for another 30 min
- In a frying pan, place the dough balls one by one.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown. If necessary cover them a little so that they are cooked on the inside.
- Shake the pan a little or rotate the loaves so that they cook evenly.
- Repeat this process for each dough ball.
For the chicken with tomato sauce
- Cook the chicken breasts in hot water.
- Shred the chicken with the help of a hand mixer, as if you were beating a cake.
- In a frying pan, put a drizzle of olive oil and turn the heat on high.
- Add the garlic paste and spread it well over the pan.
- Add the shredded chicken, salt, and pepper and sauté.
- Sprinkle the paprika and oregano over the chicken and let it cook for a while.
- Crush the peeled tomatoes with the help of a hand blender or food processor.
- Put the tomatoes in the pan and fold well so that the chicken is completely covered.
- Stir well and add the soy sauce.
- Cook for a few more minutes and turn off the heat.
To assemble the stuffed sweet potato bread recipe
- Cut the sweet potato bread in half.
- Put some tomato slices on the base.
- On top, put the shredded chicken with tomato sauce.
- Cook the onion with a dash of honey in the pan, without washing it. The idea is that the onion gets very soft and caramelized.
- Place the onion on top of the chicken.
- Add some of the grated carrots on top.
- Finally, cover with the other half of the sweet potato bread, as if it were the lid of a hamburger.