Today’s recipe are wonderful Spelt and Blueberries Waffles, ideal to eat for breakfast, any day of the week.
They are perfect for breakfast, and if you prepare them the previous day, you won’t have any work first thing in the morning.
Whether for a weekend brunch or for breakfast before going to work, the best thing is to make them really yummy!
My suggestion is to add blueberries and maple syrup as toppings or, if you want something even more yummy, you can always opt for some nice whipped cream and melted chocolate.
Believe me, no one can resist!
For a healthier and versatile option (which is usually my choice), don’t add sugar to the batter. So you can put your favorite sweetener as a topping or even turn these waffles into a savory option (yes, smoked salmon and avocado works perfectly!).
How do you make these Spelt and Blueberries Waffles?
These Spelt and Blueberries Waffles are quite easy to make. I advise you to whip the batter by hand, so that it becomes super light and fluffy.
Let the dough rest for 30 min, or overnight. This way the waffles will be super fluffy inside and crispy outside.
You don’t need to grease the waffle maker, since you are going to put olive oil on the batter, unless your waffle maker is non-stick.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Spelt flour
- Baking powder
- Olive oil
- Maple Syrup
- Butter (optional)
What tricks will ensure that these Spelt and Blueberries Waffles taste just right?
- Use eggs at room temperature and whip well the egg whites. If necessary, add 2 or 3 drops of lemon, so that the egg whites come up perfectly.
- Once you add all the ingredients together, add the baking powder and the egg whites, and don’t beat the batter too much. The idea is that all the air incorporated in the egg whites will make your waffles super fluffy and light.
- Let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes.
- When you put the batter in the waffle maker, make sure it is very hot, so that your waffles are crispy on the outside.
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Spelt and Blueberries Waffles
- 2 cups spelt flour
- Salt to taste
- 1¾ cup milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Maple Syrup
- Butter to put on top optional
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the salt.
- Add the milk and the olive oil and mix well.
- Separate the yolks from the whites and whip the egg whites. Set aside.
- Add the yolks to the bowl and fold them into the mixture.
- Add the whipped egg whites and the baking powder and fold them into the mixture.
- Pour ladles of the mixture into the waffle maker once it is very hot.
- Let them cook for 2 to 3 min or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Repeat the process until you finish the batter.
- Serve with blueberries and maple syrup. If you like, add a small square of butter, which looks really yummy.