When there are leftovers in the fridge, the imagination gets to work and this time I bring you a Scrambled Egg and Meat Toast.
If there’s one thing I don’t like it’s having a bunch of small bowls in the fridge with a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
But I am not one to throw food away, because we can always give a new life to the leftovers in the fridge.
Since I was a child I was taught not to waste, and even the smallest piece of bread is saved here at home.
Lately, even the fruit pits are saved: my grandmother has been planting them! ahah
There’s always a way to use leftovers, even if it’s disguised in some other dish. You have to use your imagination and avoid wasting food as much as possible.
I believe that we should eat what we like and what we feel like, and that eating something forcibly is not the way to go from my point of view.
But at the same time, it makes me very confused to see food being thrown away just like that.
Of course, eating a steak that’s been in the fridge for 2 or 3 days, left over from previous meals, isn’t anyone’s dream (mine certainly isn’t), but the truth is that I often end up inventing new and very good-looking recipes!
And it’s not only “their face” that’s good, I usually end up doing great things with the flavors!
All this is to tell you that this is how I see zero waste.
Not as a boring way to eat the leftovers we have at home, but as a way to create new, different, and tasty recipes.
I confess that it gives me great pleasure to take some loose ingredients and create! Most of the time I don’t know what to do, but when I start putting the ingredients together the result turns out good!
This time, the leftovers of the day were some chicken steaks with garlic and olive oil left over from dinner.
Actually, I also used the avocado and cashew sauce I had made for another dish and had leftovers (I explain the process in the recipe).
And so came up with this recipe for scrambled egg and meat toast.
How to make this Scrambled Eggs and Meat Toast?
This scrambled egg and meat recipe is basically a mix of ingredients, which consists of using up the leftovers in the fridge.
There is no right or wrong way to make it, there is only one rule: zero waste!
The idea is that there is no waste of food and, consequently, everything can be used and transformed into new and different recipes.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Leftovers, in this case, I used chopped beef steak
- A sauce of your preference. I used a homemade avocado and cashew sauce, which I had leftover from another recipe
- Micro-leaves or greens
- Herbs, I used fennel
- Tomatoes of your choice. I love cherry tomatoes and had them red and orange.
Some useful tricks:
- I cut the meat into pieces and put it in the pan already cut just before serving. This way, if it’s to be served on the spot, it stays nice and warm.
- The eggs, I break directly into the pan and, with the help of a spatula, I stir them in circular movements. This way they become more fluffy and moist.
- The bread I like to toast them on the spot, so they stay warm and crispy. If it is to be taken away, I prefer not to toast it.
- Fennel, I chop it on the spot with the help of scissors, so that it releases all its aroma.
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Scrambled Egg and Meat Toast
- 2 slices mixture alentejano bread
- 2 tbsp avocado and cashew sauce*
- 1 handful micro-leaves or other greens of your choice
- 2 scrambled eggs
- 2 beef steaks (fridge leftovers)
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh fennel
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
For the avocado and cashew sauce*
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 cup cashew
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1 handful fresh mint
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup nooch/nutritional yeast
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- Water to taste
For the avocado and cashew sauce
- Start by removing the pulp from the avocado and mashing it lightly with a fork.
- Add the lemon juice, cashews, garlic, and mint, and grind everything in a food processor.
- Add the salt, pepper, olive oil, and water, and grind again.
- Add the nutritional yeast and mix well
- Set aside.
For the scrambled egg and meat toast
- Start by toasting 2 slices of bread in a toaster, in the oven, or even in the frying pan.
- Spread avocado and cashew sauce on the toast.
- Add a layer of micro-leaves or greens.
- In a skillet, make some scrambled eggs, just with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and add a layer of scrambled eggs to your toast.
- Cut the meat into small pieces and put it for 1 or 2 min in a frying pan with olive oil, just to get it hot. Arrange the meat on the toast.
- Add the cherry tomatoes cut in halves.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh fennel.