I love cooking with pumpkin and this Pumpkin and Spice Cake is really good!
With Halloween just around the corner, there’s nothing better than using pumpkins and making delicious recipes!
This Pumpkin and Spice Cake is perfect for a tasty and different breakfast and is rich in flavor!
The so-called “Pumpkin Bread” in English, which I think in Portuguese doesn’t sound so good, is really one of my favorite recipes of this time.
It’s very healthy, as it’s made with great ingredients like olive oil, pumpkin, oatmeal flour, etc.
With a sweet touch, but very smooth, the pumpkin and spices are the stars of this wonderful cake!
In my opinion, this is an irresistible recipe!
It combines very well with a hot tea, a hot chocolate or a coffee full of foam. It’s the perfect match!
So how do we make this Pumpkin and Spice Cake?
There’s really no big secret. For me, the most important thing is to control the cooking time very well.
All ovens are different and for me, it works very well to place the oven grid at the lowest height and bake the cake at 170º, on grid power from top to bottom.
But be careful, your ovens can be different! It’s a matter of trying it and getting to know your oven well.
Oh and of course the toothpick test for me is indispensable!
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Pumpkin puree
- Brown sugar
- Olive oil (or coconut oil)
- Mix of spices (cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg)
- Oat flour (or another flour of choice)
- Baking powder
- Pumpkin seeds
What are the tricks to hit the nail on this Pumpkin and Spice Cake?
- Roast the pumpkin in the oven in water or steam and, after being pureed, remove the excess water with the help of a cloth.
- Use a quality olive oil, as it enhances the flavor.
- The spice mix gives a lot of flavor, so I suggest you use them all.
- Preheat the oven so that it cooks evenly.
- It is important to use a medium/low temperature, no more than 170°C.
Let’s check the step by step?
Pumpkin and Spices Cake
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ⅔ cup olive oil or coconut oil
- ginger powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups oatmeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pumpkin seeds to taste
- Start by mixing sugar and eggs in a bowl.
- Add pumpkin and mix again.
- Add the milk and the olive oil and mix well, until you get an even mixture.
- Add the spices along with the salt and mix.
- Add the flour, sifting it and incorporate well.
- Put the baking powder and wrap it well.
- Pour the dough into a mold previously greased and lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the pumpkin seeds on top and place in a pre-heated oven at 170º for 40 minutes or until cooked through.