Valentine’s Day is coming and nothing like some Oatmeal Pancakes with Berry Jam and no sugar, to surprise your better half.
These pancakes are super healthy since they contain good ingredients and no sugar.
However, since I used a red fruit (and sugar-free) jam, I didn’t feel the need to add any kind of sweetener to them.
These pancakes are perfect for breakfast or a snack and are very filling.
The great advantage of making them without sugar is that you can add it on the side (if you miss the sweetness), or you can add savory toppings. Super versatile!
If you want to sweeten them naturally, I suggest adding apple puree or orange juice. If you opt for the latter, add all the fiber of the orange, so that it is nutritionally more interesting.
How do you make these Oatmeal Pancakes with Berry Jam?
Made with healthy ingredients, these oatmeal pancakes with berry jam are great for a healthy and delicious breakfast.
They are made with few ingredients and there are no big tricks. Just mix the ingredients for the batter and use a skillet over medium heat.
As for the berry jam, the secret is to be patient, since you shouldn’t make it over high heat. The chia seeds are used to thicken it a bit, in a natural way, and to add a touch of fiber.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Oat flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Olive oil
- Frozen wild berries
- Chia seeds
What tricks will ensure that these Oatmeal Pancakes with Berry Jam taste just right?
- Add the batter ingredients and mix well. It is important to obtain a homogeneous batter.
- Make the pancakes over medium heat, so that they cook well on the inside, becoming tall and fluffy.
- When you turn the pancakes, press lightly with the spatula, so that some air is released (but not too much). This will help achieve the good and super fluffy consistency we want.
- As for the wild berries, I use the frozen ones because the frosting itself helps them cook faster and create the sauce.
- Use medium/low heat to make the jam so you don’t burn it.
- The chia seeds help give the jam consistency and also provide fiber.
Let’s check the step by step??
Oatmeal Pancakes with Berry Jam
For the pancakes
- 1 cup oat flour or crushed oat flakes
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk or plant-based drink
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 csp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Olive oil only for the pancakes to not stick to the frying pan
For the berry jam
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup raspberries congeladas
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Place the oat flour in a bowl.
- Add the egg, and milk, and mix well.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix them once again.
- Add the olive oil and fold it well.
- Place spoonfuls of batter in a skillet over medium heat and let it cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until they are cooked inside.
- Repeat the process until you have no more batter.
For the jam
- Place the frozen wild berries in a small saucepan, over low/medium heat, and let the ice melt.
- As soon as the ice starts melting, start stirring and keep doing it once in a while.
- When the wild berries begin to soften, start crushing them.
- A thicker mix will start to form. Add the chia seeds and stir well.
- When it thickens, ensure that the wild berries are well crushed and serve it.