Meatless Bolognese sounds pretty good to me, and this Mushroom Bolognese is sure to be a hit with family and friends!
Whether for a family dinner or among friends, a bolognese is always a great choice.
Besides being a practical recipe that usually everyone likes, it is relatively simple and easy to prepare.
But this recipe is something wonderful and caters for all tastes. A meatless recipe, with simple ingredients, to cook at any time.
After all, all we want want is a decadent bolognese full of flavor.
How do you make this Mushroom Bolognese?
You start by frying/sautée the mushrooms, so that they become deliciously flavored and nicely browned.
Then we’ll move on to the saute that will give a boost of flavor to the whole recipe.
Add some spices/herbs, wine, and peeled tomatoes to make the sauce velvety and decadent.
Finally, a good dose of fresh herbs and grated parmesan cheese. It’s just perfect!
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Red wine
- Rosemary powder
- Peeled caned tomatoes
- Coriander or basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
What are the tricks to getting this Mushroom Bolognese right?
- Clean the mushrooms with a kitchen towel, to keep all the flavor. By washing them with water, the mushrooms’ essence is lost.
- Sauté the mushrooms well and set aside until used. If there are too many for the size of the pan, divide them into portions, because if the pan gets too full they will steam rather than saute.
- Chop the saute ingredients well so that the sauce becomes more velvety.
- When you add the peeled tomatoes to the stew, mash them as they cook so that the sauce is more uniform.
- Cook the pasta al dente.
Let’s check the step by step?
- 2 cups mushrooms
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 chopped medium carrot
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tsp rosemary powder or thyme
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Chopped coriander to taste or basil
- Grated parmesan cheese to taste
- Pasta for the amount of people in question
- Start by sauteing the mushrooms in olive oil until nicely browned. Set aside.
- Put a dash of olive oil back in the pan and add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the carrot and stir well.
- Add the tomatoes and stir again well. Cook until the tomato begins to soften.
- Add the paprika and the red wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until the alcohol begins to evaporate and the stew begins to gain more consistency.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the rosemary and the peeled tomatoes and stir well, crushing the tomatoes as they cook.
- Add salt and pepper and stir well.
- Add the previously reserved mushrooms and mix into the sauce.
- Pre-cook the pasta and add it to the bolognese.
- Stir well and serve.
- Sprinkle with coriander and parmesan.