I love making risotto and this Mushroom and Turmeric Risotto is just wonderful!
For me, risotto is one of those recipes that you either know how to make very well, or you can easily ruin.
The consistency has to be perfect: creamy, but al dente!
I particularly like this risotto, because I make it with turmeric and it’s an explosion of flavors!
It’s light but intense, full of flavor and different. It’s worth trying.
It’s perfect for a romantic dinner or with family, as long as you eat it warm! Don’t forget a good layer of Parmesan cheese and basil for an irresistible aroma.
How do you make this Mushroom and Turmeric Risotto?
This Mushroom and Turmeric Risotto has no great secrets. It’s made like any other risotto, but to get the perfect consistency and creaminess, you need to place the ingredients at the right time.
The rice has to be well sautéed, the wine has to evaporate, and the olive oil and cheese have to be put in with the heat off.
Believe me, your risotto will never fail again!
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Risotto rice
- White wine
- Vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
- Green onion
What tricks will ensure this Mushroom and Turmeric Risotto tastes just right?
- Make sure that you use risotto rice or arborio rice, as these types of rice allow the risotto to have a creamy, al dente consistency.
- Saute the mushrooms in a pan before adding them to the risotto. This process helps the mushrooms to become more flavorful and not soften too much when added to the risotto.
- Only add the wine when the rice is already sauteed.
- Use a quality broth, preferably homemade, and use it hot so that it doesn’t interfere with the temperature of the risotto and thus preserve the creaminess.
- It is not necessary to stir constantly.
- The turmeric is essential for the colorful flavor of this risotto.
- You don’t need to use butter to make the risotto creamy, just use olive oil. The trick is to place the ingredients at the right time.
- Put plenty of quality cheese, after all, a good risotto takes a good amount of Parmesan cheese.
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Mushroom and Turmeric Risotto
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 2 cups risotto rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Green onion for sprinkling
- ⅔ cup parmesan
- Basil for decoration
- Start by sauteing the mushrooms in olive oil in a frying pan over high heat.
- As soon as they lose their water, lower the heat to medium, season with salt, and let it cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Saute the onion in a frying pan with olive oil over medium heat.
- Once softened and translucent, add the rice and let it saute for about 3 min or until it stops making noise. Stir from time to time so that it doesn't stick.
- Add the wine and mix well. Cook until the alcohol evaporates.
- Season with salt, pepper, and saffron, stir well, and add the broth.
- Let it simmer, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick.
- As soon as the rice has absorbed the broth, turn off the heat and sprinkle with the green onion. Stir well.
- Add 1 drizzle of olive oil and the Parmesan cheese and fold the mixture well.
- Serve with basil on top.