Today I bring you a Lemon Cake with Poppy Seeds Recipe.
I keep saying that I love a good salty snack, but the truth is that I also lose myself with sweets. Is it possible to be this greedy?
I love a good cake, fresh out of the oven. Warm and delicious!
And lemon cake with poppy seeds is one of those recipes that makes my mouth water because it’s super fresh and not very cloying.
I do love simple cakes to eat with tea. Yes, I do that. I love to dip the cakes in tea! ahah
This lemon cake with poppy seeds, besides having a great consistency, has a good enough acidity, which makes it light. Moreover, I don’t add much sugar to it, so it’s perfect!
The top will be a bit caramelized because of the lemon. I LOVE IT!
I’ll be super honest, this cake is so good that I even eat it for breakfast, with a little bit of butter. Go ahead, call me crazy, but it’s wonderful!
As always, this cake is healthy. It has good ingredients: no white flour, no super-processed sugars, or bad oils.
You can eat a few slices with no worries.
And as I always say, in moderation there is no problem. We should eat what we like, without restrictions, and feel the greatest pleasure in the world!
The things we like are the ones that are good for us. As long as there is balance and we have a varied diet.
Of course, we are not supposed to eat cakes and sweets every day, but we can have our own rules. For example, during the week I don’t usually eat sweets.
I leave those treats for the weekend, because I know I have more time to make them or because I know I will be with my family.
Those are the times when it is hardest for me not to eat those things, so I created this rule for myself.
Does it make sense?
And, ideally, we should not bury our heads in the sand. If I can’t resist for some reason, that’s okay. The key is not to feel guilty about it! It’s gone and I’ll do better tomorrow.
One thing I am sure, I will keep eating this lemon cake with poppy seeds because it is so good and it’s impossible to resist!
The more teas there are, the more I’ll eat this cake! ahah
Let’s check the step-by-step?
LEMON CAKE WITH POPPY SEEDS RECIPE:
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 packages of plain yogurt
- 4 eggs
- 60 gr of poppy seeds
- 1 dsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Zest of 1 or 2 lemons (only the yellow part)
- Start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the whole spelt flour and brown sugar. Stir.
- Add the eggs one by one, and fold them slowly so that the mixture begins to gain some consistency.
- Add the yogurt to the previous mixture and stir well.
- Add the coconut oil and stir again.
- Pour in the poppy seeds and stir well so that the seeds are spread evenly throughout the batter.
- Grate the lemon peel (you want the zest) into the batter and, if you wish, add 2 or 3 drops of lemon, just so that the lemon reacts with the yeast, resulting in a fluffier cake.
- Now add the yeast and stir the cake mixture well.
- Grease a baking pan with coconut oil and a pinch of flour.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- Do the toothpick test to make sure the cake is cooked inside.
Suggestion: To replace the spelt flour, you can make this recipe with oat flour for example. If you use rice, coconut, or other flour, you should adjust the quantity.
You can use the sugar or sweetener of your choice, such as coconut sugar, maple syrup, or honey.
The plain yogurt can be whatever you like best, either plain, Greek or skyr.
If you like the cake with more acidity, use 2 lemons.
Another idea is to make this cake with lime. I have never tried it, but it should be very good!
You can serve the cake with some fruit on top or with a layer of plain yogurt.