Who are the people that enjoy sweets out there? This Healthy Nutella Recipe is for you.
Yes, that’s right!
Here’s a great recipe that’s healthy and super easy to make.
I love Nutella, but it’s not something I eat often because I know it’s a spread full of sugars, fats, and junk… But it’s so good!
Spread on a pancake or even by the spoonful. I know, I know, it’s an exaggeration to eat it by the spoonful (but yes, I am one of those).
Well, since I can’t resist, I prefer not to buy it.
You know when I talk about those internal rules and tricks we have to have in order to be healthier? Here is a great example!
I think that restriction is not the solution. If I really like it and feel like it, I eat it. But I know that if I have a jar of Nutella at home, it won’t last.
So my strategy is really not to buy it!
And being honest, if I don’t have it at home, I don’t even remember it exists. So, the problem is solved!
Well, I couldn’t stand still, and on top of that I got some wonderful hazelnuts, so I had to do something with them…
Tchanaaaaan, eyes blinking, smoke coming out of my ears, get it? Healthy Nutella, obvious!
I decided that was the recipe I had to make with my hazelnuts. A pot of Nutella, with good ingredients and with all the hazelnut and cocoa flavor.
The perfect topping for my morning pancakes or for days when I crave something sweet.
The best part is really the fact that it is healthier. More nutritionally interesting, with sugars that do less harm, and with less fat.
This doesn’t mean that you can use and abuse it. It still has sugar, regardless of being a better sugar (honey), and it still has fat.
But it’s wonderful to eat guilt-free on those days when you really feel like a sweet treat!
How to make this Healthy Nutella Recipe?
This healthy Nutella recipe is pretty easy to execute!
To make it, you need a kitchen robot (or a food processor) or a blender. Otherwise, you won’t be able to grind your hazelnuts.
The idea is that you grind your hazelnuts until a paste, or butter is formed.
The process is very similar to making peanut butter.
For this you’ll need:
- Hazelnuts, with or without skin, as you prefer. I used them with skin, but after roasting my hazelnuts a good portion of the skin came off. I used organic hazelnuts from Bago Mercearia.
- Raw cocoa powder or another of your choice, but I prefer the raw because it is 100% cocoa and has no added sugars.
- Salt, to intensify the flavor of the cocoa.
- Coconut oil will give a velvety touch to your healthy Nutella and make it more intense.
- Honey, to sweeten your Nutella, or a sweetener of your choice.
- Water, in case you need a boost to make your Nutella more liquid.
It should just be noted that you can make this healthy Nutella recipe even simpler if you prefer:
- You don’t need to use coconut oil. Hazelnuts, when toasted, will release their own oils, and those natural hazelnut oils will be enough to make your Nutella. The coconut oil will only help the paste to form more easily and without much effort.
- The water is not essential in this process, it will only help to make your paste a more liquid consistency and thus easier to serve.
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Healthy Nutella Recipe
- 150 gr hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 to 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp water (optional)
- 1 dsp honey
- Salt to taste
- Start by roasting your hazelnuts, either in the oven (approx. 15 min at 180º) or in a frying pan, over high heat and until they start to get toasty.
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor, kitchen robot, or blender and use at maximum speed until the hazelnuts crumble into small pieces.
- Turn it off, open the lid, and push everything on the walls down.
- Turn it on again a little until it's flour-like.
- Repeat this process until the hazelnuts start to turn into a somewhat viscous paste.
- Add the coconut oil, salt, and chocolate, and continue to turn it on and off as you control the consistency.
- If it's taking too long, add water to make the paste form more easily, and turn the blender on until you get a homogeneous paste, almost like a cream.
- Add the honey and mix well.
- Pour your healthy Nutella into a glass jar.
- Serve to your liking.