Who doesn’t like some yummy cookies? I love it and today I bring you some Hazelnut and Chocolate Cookies that are to die for!
I know that January just started and we all have many new year’s resolutions. Some of them are “being healthier”, “eating fewer sweets”, or “having a more active life”.
But today we can make a small exception since it is Three Kings Day – we must celebrate properly.
This year I’m not feeling the Bolos Rei ou Rainha (King or Queen Cakes, respectively; traditional Portuguese Christmas cakes), so these hazelnut and chocolate cookies are my choice.
They’re perfect for sharing, relatively healthy, and super crunchy. In other words, perfect for celebrations!
Actually, they’re perfect for any day, when we have that urge to eat something sweet. A snack to always have around.
How do you make these Hazelnut and Chocolate Cookies?
We can either make them by hand or with a mixer. I prefer doing them by hand, I find it easier and very practical.
I mix the ingredients with the help of a kitchen spatula because I find it easier.
But we can only use the mixer, mixing the dry ingredients only at the end. Still, I suggest that you mix the chocolate and chopped hazelnuts by hand, or at a low speed so that they don’t disintegrate.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Brown sugar
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla essence
- Oat flour
- Baking powder
- Chocolate bar
What tricks will ensure these Hazelnut and Chocolate cookies will taste just right?
- Mix well the sugar with the eggs, so that the sugar completely dissolves.
- Use the eggs at room temperature, this will prevent a temperature shock.
- If you can, sift the flour. It always helps the consistency of the cookies.
- Use good quality ingredients.
- Use 70% cocoa chocolate – it will be both healthier and less cloying.
- The hazelnuts should be chopped before adding them to the recipe.
Let’s check the step by step?
Hazelnut and Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Salt to taste
- 1¾ cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ bar chopped 72% chocolate
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- Start by placing the sugar in a bowl.
- Add the egg and the yolk and mix them well.
- Add the coconut oil and mix it well once again.
- Add the vanilla essence and the salt and fold them.
- Add the flour. If you're able to sift it, it would be better. Fold it in the mixture.
- Add the baking powder and mix it well, so that it spreads evenly in the dough.
- Add the chopped chocolate and hazelnuts and mix.
- Make small balls with the help of an ice cream scoop and place them in a pan lined with baking paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180º for 7 min or until they are golden brown.