With the warm weather going on, there’s nothing better than an eggplant salad with cottage cheese for a light and tasty meal.
I am a complete walking salad eater (whatever that means! ahah) and therefore, I couldn’t help but tell you about my latest invention.
First of all, I really like this time of the year, when the weather is warm and you just want to go to the beach and take a dip in the sea.
And there’s nothing like combining that with light, fresh meals that can be made in no time and are nourishing.
Yes guys, forget the myth that salads don’t nourish or quench your hunger.
Forget that “oh and so, in an hour I’ll be hungry” thing.
You have to know how to choose the right ingredients that are good and satisfying.
The combination of flavors has to be a winner, but the combination of ingredients must also be right.
And there is no point in thinking that a salad is just lettuce and tomatoes because that does not nourish anyone!
And don’t say that it doesn’t nourish anything without trying this wonderful eggplant salad with fresh cheese, because then I’ll tell you: it’s a lie! ahah
Today I’m going to tell you a story, and that story is nothing more and nothing less than introducing you to my new salad!
If you LOVE eggplant as much as I do, you’ll love this salad for sure.
But don’t worry, a man (or a woman!) does not live with only veggies alone!
This salad is much more than that!
I present you a salad with whole grain couscous, a carbohydrate that is very healthy for its fiber content; with soft cottage cheese, which adds a little protein and texture; and with a sauce that is an explosion of flavor!
Well, speaking of cottage cheese, let me take this opportunity to tell you that this recipe came about through a partnership with Lactimonte.
They sent me some cheeses and asked me to develop some recipes…
Well, I can already say that I LOVED the cheeses!!! The texture is wonderful and nothing like those packaged cheeses you find in most supermarkets.
And believe me, partnership or no partnership, I will start buying them. We are all fans here at home!
Well, it was then that I came up with the idea of inventing another salad for dinner. But with the purpose of being practical to take with you, quick to make, and with an unbeatable flavor.
And of course, I was craving eggplant and thought it would be a great combination with cottage cheese.
And that was the best salad I’ve made in the last few days! ahah
How do you make this Eggplant Salad with Soft Cottage Cheese?
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Whole grain couscous
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Fresh garlic
- Lactimonte soft cottage cheese
What tricks will ensure that this Eggplant Salad with Soft Cottage Cheese tastes just right?
There are no tricks, no secrets. You just have to control the kitchen, as a friend of mine used to say!
And that’s exactly what it is. You just have to have a sense of what you are making and know how to use the ingredients to your advantage.
OK, I know that not everyone has the same skill. But that’s okay, I leave some tips here…
- Attention, it is extremely important to respect the quantities and time of the couscous.
Always use the proportion 2/1, that is, 2 doses of water for 1 dose of couscous. This tip is valuable and never fails!
If you’re going to make a salad like this, you don’t need to season the couscous, because the dressing you’re going to make is already by itself the seasoning for everything else.
Do not cook the couscous in a pan, the idea is that it cooks with all that steam so that it becomes loose and al dente.
Once cooked, stir the couscous with a fork, so that it breaks up into chunks.
- The eggplant should be cut into very thin slivers and roasted in the pan until it takes on marks, only then will it be just right.
- The herbs together are a must and make all the difference in the dressing. In addition, they also serve to season the entire dish, which has not been previously seasoned.
- The Lactimonte soft cottage cheese is a wonder and its texture makes this eggplant salad with cottage cheese even tastier.
Besides the texture that crumbles in the mouth, it has a very light but slightly salty flavor. A marvel!
It is essential that you shred it, instead of dicing it. You will see that it is completely different and much more appealing.
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Eggplant Salad with Soft Cottage Cheese
- ½ cup whole grain couscous
- 1 cup freshly boiled water
- 1 large eggplant
- 5 to 6 cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 handful chopped coriander
- 1 handful chopped mint
- 1 handful chopped basil
- 1 package Lactimonte soft cottage cheese
- Start by preparing your couscous.
- Place the couscous in a bowl and cover it with freshly boiled or at least warm water. Cover it with a plate, so that a sort of steam/greenhouse is formed.
- Let the couscous hydrate for about 15 min or until it absorbs the water.
- Remove the lid and stir with a fork to loosen the couscous. Set aside.
- With the help of a mandoline or carrot peeler, cut the eggplant into very thin, carpaccio-like slices.
- Turn on the heat to medium power and, put a grill or a frying pan to heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Grill the eggplant slices, until they start to get some marks. About 1 to 2 min on each side.
- Repeat the process until all the eggplants are cooked and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, put the olive oil, peeled garlic and coriander, mint, and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grind well, at medium/maximum power, until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Place aside the sauce in a bowl and, if necessary, stir a little before using.
- Assemble your salad by following these steps:
- On a plate, place half of the couscous.
- Fold the eggplant slightly, one by one, making a kind of crimp at the bottom, and place it on the plate.
- Spread the cherry tomatoes in halves.
- Crumble the cottage cheese and sprinkle it on top of your salad.
- Drizzle with the aromatic dressing.
- Garnish with basil leaves.
- Serve and enjoy.
In partnership with Lactimonte.