Creamy Rice Pudding
In this Christmas season there is nothing like a creamy rice pudding to compose the festivities table.
I admit this is one of the traditional desserts I love the most and I just can’t resist.
There are countless variations of this recipe, depending on who makes it. There are those who make it more creamy, less creamy, with or without butter, with or without eggs, with cream, with cinnamon, with nutmeg, with the most varied types of rice, with vermicelli, in short… there are even those who put almonds! Countless of choices, you decide.
It’s almost like codfish: 17354938904880 ways to cook it! A recipe that seems so simple at tje first sight… A simple rice pudding!
Then there are other variants like the country of origin. Rice pudding it’s a traditional recipe from many countries and they all do it differently… be it Portugal, Brazil or even the Nordic countries.
Continuing with the variants, some people like it cold, warm, or even when you just finoish cooking it. I LOVE it in any way possoble. ahah If it’s a really good rice pudding, I’ll eat it anyway.
And finally, there are people like me. I try to make this as recipe easy as possible, fast, with the minimum trouble, but of course delicious.
At the same time, I try to cut down on the sugar and I use brown sugar instead to be healthier. I use whatever rice I have in hand, lots of cinnamon and to be honest, I do the old style “more or less” measurements. And you know what? Just let it be!
The truth is just one: this creamy rice pudding looks wonderful and I devoured 6 jars of it in the blink of an eye! Yes, me all alone… Oops, its an exception day, but please do not tell anyone!
But that’s the warning, it is that dangerous!
How is this creamy rice pudding made?
As I said, it is super easy. Put all the ingredients together and that’s it, just stir, stir, stir and it’s ready in no time at all!
Ahah I’m kidding, you can find the complete recipe at the end of this article.
For this creamy rice pudding you will need:
- Rice (I used basmati because I had it here at home, but you can use long grain white rice because it absorbs the milk better. But use whatever you have at hand… Honestly, I think risotto rice works!
- Milk (you can use a vegetable drink of your choice or a lactose free one, but adjust the amount of sugar since these drinks are sweeter)
- Brown sugar (or other sweetener of your preference)
- Egg yolks
- Lemon peels
- Cinnamon sticks
What about the tips and tricks,?
There really aren’t…
Just watch out when cooking the rice so that it does not overcook and the milk boiling so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
Otherwise, bare in mind you only add the egg yolks after you let the pot rest, so that the rice cools down and the eggs do not cook.
Finally, if you are like me, use lots of cinnamon and it’s perfect!
And without further ado, let’s go to the complete recipe of this creamy rice pudding?
Creamy Rice Pudding
- 1 cup basmati rice or long graing white rice
- 1½ cup milk
- ½ cup brown sugar or other sweetener of your preference
- 6 6 egg yolks
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 2 2 small cinnamon sticks or 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 csp nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- Cinnamon to sprinkle
- Start by cooking the rice normally, on a pan.
- Once cooked, add the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon sticks, lemon peel and nutmeg and stir well.
- Turn the heat at medium power, add the milk little by little and stir continuously.
- When the rice begins to absorb the milk and gain the consistency of a creamy rice, turn off the heat and let it cool a little.
- Add the egg yolks and stir very well until they are fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and the lemon peels and place the rice pudding in small bowls.
- Sprinkle with plenty of cinnamon and serve while still hot. Or put in the fridge and sprinkle only when serving.