A creamy oatmeal in the morning is the perfect breakfast to start the day in the best way possible. They are warm, velvety and super filling. There’s nothing like the feeling of coziness in the morning! To me, it’s a sign of taking care of myself.
I really believe breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and I can’t leave home without eating, it’s really a number 1 rule in my routine: breakfast first.
But sometimes, when we are in a rush we end up just eating whatever we find in the kitchen counter and don’t really pay attention to what we are eating.
It is extremely important that we give our body what it needs to get through the day. Meaning, we need to nurture our body with good nutrients!
Being in a hurry or not, there’s no doubt that this creamy oatmeal is super nutritious and has a good amount of protein to start the day, as besides oats it also has eggs (the main reason why they get so creamy!).
The combination of the oats, the eggs and the cinnamon make this creamy oatmeal super delicious and velvety; or should i say decadent?
The biggest trick if you’re in a hurry every morning is to make this super nutritious breakfast beforehand.
You can make it freshly on the day as well, of course; but if you wanna save some time in the morning, just make it in advance and heat it up. Stove or microwave, both work!
You can even make a large portion and store in the fridge to eat throughout the week. Bingo! Then no more hurrying to have breakfast ready.
If you are one of those people who eat on the way to work, there is also a solution for you! Put them in little jars and warm them up just before you leave home (or even at the office).
I’ll leave you a great tip in the end of the recipe, then you know exactly how to heat up your super nutritious creamy oatmeal!
How to make this delicious Creamy Oatmeal recipe?
It’s quite easy. Just add the oats to the milk or vegetable drink to a small pot and add a pinch of salt.
Stirr well and let it cook for a while. Then add the egg to make it even creamier! It’s rally simple and belive me, you’ll fall for it!
Add the toppings of your choice and you have your creamy oatmeal ready in just a few minutes.
For this recipe you will need:
- Milk or vegetable milk of choice
- Yellow kiwi
What are the tricks to get these Creamy Oatmeal right?
- Make the porridge on medium or even low heat, so that the milk or the vegetal milk and the oats are well incorporated and form a creamy mixture.
- The salt adds an umami touch to the oatmeal and it contrasts super well with the sweet touch of the milk and oats (and the cinnamon).
- The cinnamon, for me, gives a very gluttonous touch and helps to satiate. It has a little sweet taste, but at the same time it helps feeling full for a longer period. So, win-win with the cinnamon!
- Add the egg only at the end, but turn the heat off just before you add them in. Stir well and very quickly, so that the egg is incorporated into the porridge instead of cooking, we don’t want to make scambled eggs afterall. If you don’t stir very fast, the egg will become lumpy.
Let’s check the step by step?
- ½ cup coarse oats or fine
- 1 cup milk or vegetable milk of choice
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg you can use only egg whites if you prefer
- Cinnamon to taste
- 1 kiwi
- 1 yellow kiwi
- Start by combining the oats and milk or vegetable milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir well and add a pinch of salt. Stir well again.
- When it starts to thicken, stir vigorously and turn off the heat. It will already be somewhat creamy.
- Add the egg and mix very well and very quickly, so that the egg doesn't cook.
- Add the cinnamon, to taste, and mix well.
- Divide into bowls and serve with slices of kiwi and yellow kiwi.
- Add more cinnamon on top if you like.