I love okra and I am always trying new recipes with it. This Coconut and Okra Curry is one of those wonderful recipes that always come out well.
I had never made this recipe this way before, I simply made a normal coconut curry my grandmother’s way and added the okra.
Until this year, when I had half a mango in the fridge waiting to be used, and I thought about using it in this recipe.
Ahh that and the peanut butter, which makes all the difference in the final result of this Coconut and Okra Curry.
Since then, it’s a recipe we make a lot at home. It’s delicious, and around here, we love okra!
Besides, it’s a very Indian-style recipe, which is a kind of food we love to make here.
How do you make this Coconut and Okra Curry?
I love to follow in my mother’s and grandmother’s footsteps, and at home, we only make curry recipes that are very easy.
The big secret is to mix the spices and let them toast well so that their aromas are released.
To make this coconut and okra curry, simply saute the onion with the spices.
Add the mango, peanut butter, and coconut milk.
And voilà, this is the basis for a good coconut and okra curry!
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Turmeric powder
- Cumin powder
- Paprika powder
- Peanut butter
- Coconut milk
- Rice as a side dish
What tricks will ensure that this Coconut and Okra Curry tastes just right?
The biggest trick for making any kind of curry is to let the spices toast well, ensuring a more aromatic curry.
As for the okra, you need to fry them a little in olive oil, so that the starch doesn’t get so sticky.
The tomato will add some acidity while the curry cooks.
The mango gives a slightly sweet flavor, which contrasts quite well with the acidity of the tomato and lime.
Peanut butter, on the other hand, is used to add creaminess to the curry.
Finally, coriander is always fundamental in any curry, giving lightness and freshness. It also combines very well with coconut milk.
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Coconut and Okra Curry
- 2 cups diced okra
- Olive oil to taste
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced tomato
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ diced mango
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ lime juice
- Coriander to taste
- Rice as a side dish
- Start by sauteing the okra in olive oil until they start to become less sticky. Set aside.
- Saute the onion in olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, and paprika, and let it toast well.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until softened.
- Add the mango and let them cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Next, add the peanut butter and stir well until it melts into the mixture.
- Add the coconut milk and let it boil, stirring occasionally and mash it all together.
- Add the okra and let it cook until it comes to a boil.
- Adjust the seasoning, adding salt if necessary.
- Turn off the heat, squeeze the juice of ½ lemon and stir well.
- Sprinkle with coriander and serve with basmati rice.