Many people have been asking me for the famous Chocolate and Zucchini Cake.
Well, today I decided to publish it, so you don’t miss anything and to make this weekend sweeter, without going out of line.
Well, lately I’ve been into cakes and sweets… there are phases like that.
Normally I’m more into savory snacks, and lunch and dinner recipes.
But by mere chance, I’ve been learning a lot about confectionery and so I’ve been experimenting and experimenting.
Recently my oven broke and this huge urge to fix it also made me venture into the search for recipes for sweets and cakes.
I have a life motto when it comes to food (and everything really): balance.
And that’s exactly what this cake conveys: a mix of sweetness, with its healthy side! And therefore, the balance I was talking about.
A chocolate and zucchini cake, where have you seen it? ahah
I’ve seen many recipes for chocolate and zucchini cake, but the one from Broma Bakery is my favorite.
The truth is that it is wonderful and was an amazing hit at work! Yes, because I am a really cool colleague who brings cake to the guys!
But so much talk to explain a very simple thing…
Do I usually eat cake? Not as a rule, but I eat some from time to time.
Are cakes bad for you? It depends! If they are not the basis of my diet and if I eat them only once in a while, they are not bad at all.
So, can I make this chocolate and zucchini cake? Of course, I can!
Besides being a healthier cake, because I use less processed ingredients, the zucchini is a good source of fiber and minerals and it has plenty of water.
All good reasons to make this chocolate and zucchini cake.
Not to mention that you can eat this cake without guilt because, in fact, it’s even better than some sweets that we sometimes eat.
How do I make his Chocolate and Zucchini Cake?
For this cake you’ll need:
- Powdered cocoa
- Plain yogurt (I use greek, but any works)
- Coconut oil
- Brown sugar
- Chocolate pieces or chips
- Vanilla essence
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Chocolate Bar
Things you should pay attention to:
- It is important that you grate the zucchini, rather than mash it, and squeeze it well to remove the excess water.
- Using brown sugar enhances the flavor, plus it’s a little less processed.
- I used oat flour, but you can use wheat flour or other flour. Pay attention to the quantities.
- The chocolate chips add more texture to the cake. It’s not mandatory, but I like to use it.
- The salt gives a boost to the cocoa.
- Vanilla essence is a suggestion, but its flavor goes well with chocolate.
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Chocolate and Zucchini Cake
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup oats flour
- ¾ cup raw cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 chocolate bar chopped into pieces
For the icing
- 1 chocolate bar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Start by preheating the oven at 170º.
- Wash the zucchinis well and grate them.
- Place the grated zucchinis in a cloth and squeeze well until the excess water is removed. Set aside.
- In a big bowl mix the greek plain yogurt, brown sugar, and coconut oil and mix well with a wires whisp.
- Add the eggs and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the zucchini and fold it gently.
- In another bowl, mix the dried ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the mixture of liquid ingredients mixture and incorporate well.
- Now that the batter is ready, add ⅔ of the chocolate pieces or chips and lightly fold them into the mixture.
- Place the batter in a previously greased baking pan and place the remaining chocolate chips or nuggets on top.
- Bake for 45 min or until cooked inside.
For the icing
- Melt the chocolate with coconut oil and when it is dissolved, set it aside.
- Decorate the cake with edible flowers.