Today I bring you a recipe that I LOVE: bok choi with sautéed mushrooms!
Anyone who knows me knows that I’m a huge fan of Asian food. Anything with soy sauce, sesame oil, seeds, and the like is my thing.
And bok choi is definitely one of my favorite vegetables, if not my favorite! Do you know that phrase “I love it with a passion”? There, that’s it!
Clearly, I also love mushrooms, and the more different and tasty the better.
Deep down, deep down, what I like is to experiment. Be it new flavors, new foods, or new cultures. Or a mix of them all.
Well, you’ll guess what I’m about to say: bok choi + mushrooms = perfect equation! And nothing more Asian than that.
I lived in China for 6 months and one of my greatest culinary discoveries was the bok choi.
There are lots of them there, as you can imagine. And the most delicious way to eat them is sautéed with mushrooms. mnhaaam
A real treat!
The Chinese make this dish by sautéing bok choi and mushrooms in butter, and it makes all the difference, I confess!
But today, we are going to try to be a little healthier and use olive oil to make this delicious recipe.
Thank God bok choi is already a relatively easy vegetable to find in Portugal…
And this dish, even though it’s just vegetables and mushrooms, is a very simple and light dish, I easily make a meal out of it.
I always try to eat a little bit of everything and have a varied and nutritious diet, but on those days when I don’t feel like eating much, this dish is an excellent option.
First, because I love it and it reminds me of wonderful times!
Second, because it is super tasty.
And third, because even though it is low in carbohydrates and protein, I feel super good and satisfied. So I don’t see any problem and eat bok choi with sautéed mushrooms for lunch or dinner once in a while.
I just want to point out that it is only once in a while. I advocate that we should have a balanced lifestyle and should eat a little bit of all food groups.
This way we can always be healthy, happy, and balanced.
How do you make this Bok Choi with Sautéed Mushrooms recipe?
This recipe is super quick and delicious.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Bok Choi
- Two types of mushrooms
- Soy sauce
- Fish sauce
- Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
If you don’t want to use the fish sauce and tamari, you can remove them from the recipe. I suggest that if you do, you add a little more soy sauce, but carefully.
You can also add a few drops of lemon juice.
What tricks will ensure that this Bok Choi with Sautéed Mushrooms recipe tastes just right?
- Removing all the water from the bok choi and mushrooms is super important, to make them super crispy and tasty. To do this, add them to the frying pan before adding the olive oil, to sweat the vegetables and let the water evaporate.
- The bok choi is done when it starts to brown nicely.
- It is important that you mix all the spices and let them incorporate into the bok choi and mushrooms so that they absorb the flavors well.
- The sesame oil is essential to give even more flavor to this dish. Add as much as you like, but not too much, because it is still oil. It makes all the difference in any vegetable since it has an intense smell and a velvety flavor.
- The sesame seeds give a crunchy touch to the dish, so for me, they are a vital element. Plus they go super well with the sesame oil.
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Bok Choi with sautéed Mushrooms
- 1 bok choi
- 1 cup fresh shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh oyster mushrooms
- Olive oil to taste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ dsp fish sauce
- 1 dsp tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Sesame seeds to taste
- Start by washing the bok choi cabbage well and cutting it in half. Set aside.
- Clean the mushrooms with a paper towel or kitchen towel and set them aside.
- Place the bok choi cabbage in a clean, very hot frying pan.
- Cook the bok choi, without any fat, until it has a few marks. Turn the bok choi over and cook on the opposite side.
- Add the shitake and the oyster mushrooms and let them release most of their water.
- Add the olive oil and sauté the bok choi and mushrooms.
- Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, and tamari.
- Mix well and let it cook for 2 min.
- Turn off the heat and add the sesame oil.
- Mix well and sprinkle with sesame seeds.