Today I bring you a recipe that I really like: bacon, tomato, and cheese muffins.
This recipe is super versatile because you can adapt it using other ingredients and eat these muffins any time of the day.
They are great for breakfast or for brunch if you want something more complete but not too much work. These bacon, tomato, and cheese muffins are also fantastic for lunch or dinner, accompanied by a salad. And of course, they are so versatile that they are also suitable for snacking.
In the absence of an appetizer, when you have people over for dinner or for a children’s party, they are a perfect fit! And I’m sure all the guests will love them!
If you want a light version, you can easily make these bacon, tomato, and cheese muffins healthier. For example, you can use less refined flour (whole wheat flour, rice flour, or spelt flour are good options) if you think it makes a big difference. But overall, I think that if your diet is balanced, these savory muffins won’t do you any harm.
Those who follow me already know that I advocate balance above all else. I think that’s really the most important thing, and that’s why I don’t restrict the foods I like in my diet. I am simply careful regarding the choices I make, but I don’t look at all the labels and everything or anything crazy.
I always try to choose those foods that I know are natural, such as fruits and vegetables, preferably not packaged. I always have fresh meat and fish, which I freeze as soon as I buy them. I avoid crackers, french fries, and processed and fast foods. And I have frequent adventures in the kitchen!
Getting back to the bacon, tomato, and cheese muffins, of course, you can choose ingredients that contain less fat in the first place… For example, instead of bacon, you can use shredded chicken; instead of grated cheese, you can use feta or any other low-fat cheese. I’ve never tried this combination, but I think it would work quite well. You can also use vegan cheeses, or simply use nutritional yeast to give an extra flavor to the recipe. Use your imagination! Try it and let me know how it turns out. 😉
Anyway, I say and repeat: have a balanced diet! That is the biggest secret to a healthy life. Eat what you like, without feelings of guilt, and eat real food. If you live calmly, without worrying too much about food, your life will be better!
Let’s get to the recipe for these bacon, tomato, and cheese muffins?
Bacon, Tomato, and Cheese Muffins (approx. 18 units):
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 eggs
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste.
- 1 small tomato cut into small cubes
- 2/3 bacon slice, cut into smaller pieces
- Grated cheese to taste
- 2 tsp yeast
- Start by preheating the oven to 180º.
- Next, grease some cupcake baking molds (I was able to make around 18 cupcakes with this recipe).
- In a bowl, mix the flour, milk, and eggs and mix well.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the chopped bacon.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the grated cheese and mix well so that everything is well incorporated.
- Finally, add the yeast and stir.
- Distribute the batter into the greased cupcake baking molds and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when you do the toothpick test.
- Once the muffins are cooked, take them out of the oven and let them cool a little.
- Remove from the baking molds and serve.
Suggestion: Serve them with a spinach and tomato salad (or any other that you prefer, this is just a suggestion), if you make this recipe for lunch or dinner.
For a more intense flavor, you can add some tomato paste to the mixture.
You can use grated cheddar cheese to achieve more flavor and color.