Bacalhau com Broa (Baked Codfish with Bread Crumbs)always comes in handy, but during the Christmas season, it tastes even better!
I’m honest, I love to eat codfish, but boiled codfish is not my thing (it is a Portuguese tradition to eat boiled codfish on Christmas Eve)! I prefer a well-baked codfish, à brás, or in olive oil.
And I think we can adapt traditions and eat a nice codfish with cornbread on Christmas Eve.
This recipe is really good and it is not even a lot of work.
Also, the Portuguese cornbread seasoned with garlic and coriander gives it a more intense flavor and it is quite tasty!
Truthfully, it is a perfect ingredients combination!
How do you make Bacalhau com Broa?
It is quite simple!
The Portuguese cornbread must be crumbled and then the seasonings are added to give even more flavor to this recipe.
The codfish is baked in the oven, and we cannot forget the olive oil, of course.
The potatoes are boiled to perfection and the cabbage is sautéed with garlic – it is to die for!
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Portuguese cornbread
- Olive oil
- Codfish fillets
- Bay leaves
What tricks will ensure that this Bacalhau com Broa tastes just right?
- Dry the codfish fillers with kitchen paper. This is an essential step to remove the water excess from the codfish.
- The Portuguese cornbread should be seasoned with a lot of garlic and corianders, to give it flavor. It should also be drizzled with olive oil, so it has a crunchy but moist crumb.
- The potatoes should be boiled to perfection so that they are soft.
- Regarding the cabbage, cut it into 1cm slices, no more than that. Then sauté them with garlic and olive oil – they will taste amazing!
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Bacalhau com Broa
- 4 to 5 Portuguese cornbread slices
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 coriander bunch
- Olive oil to taste
- 2 codfish fillets
- Pepper to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 small potatoes
- ½ cabbage
- Salt to taste
For the Cornbread
- Mix the Portuguese cornbread, 3 garlic cloves, the coriander, and olive oil, and grind everything well. Set it aside.
For the Codfish
- Dry the codfish fillets with kitchen paper and season them with pepper.
- Place them on a tray greased with olive oil and add some lay leaves to it.
- On top, place the cornbread mix and press it well so that it sticks to the codfish.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 180º, for 25 to 30 min or until the cornbread is nicely browned.
For the Potatoes
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and poke holes in them with a fork.
- Place them in a pan with boiling water and salt for 10 min.
For the Cabbage
- Drizzle olive oil in a hot skillet at medium heat.
- Add the chopped garlic and right after the sliced cabbage.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Sautée for a few minutes, until the cabbage is soft.