Let’s talk about Avocado Toast?
I know it’s a recent thing, a fad that has taken hold around and it doesn’t look like it’s going away anytime soon. So and so, because avocado is healthy, makes amazing toast, and even more spectacular photos.
All of that is true! And another great truth is that I LOVE avocado. Another truth? Avocado and poached egg is life! There, that’s my opinion.
When I was younger I didn’t like avocado at all, I thought it was a slimy fruit, with little flavor, and on top of that, my parents ate it with sugar and lemon. What a strange combination!
As time went by and fashions came along, I decided to try it again, and I became a fan! I could eat avocados every day, were it not for the fact that they are a very expensive fruit. Nonetheless, it is a super versatile fruit.
Avocado toast is always that good breakfast that makes my mouth water just thinking about it! And this recipe, which I’m going to show you next, is the basic recipe I make. It’s super simple and easy.
Besides avocado toast, I love to eat eggs for breakfast. Since I always try to be minimally healthy, poached eggs are my best friend. Besides being wonderful, the texture is great. And when the yolk is undercooked, they are even better!
Eggs are also a very versatile ingredient and, for this very reason, cannot be missing in my kitchen. Not only are they the basis of many recipes I make, but they are also my go-to meal saver when the fridge is empty!
In this avocado toast recipe, I used fried bacon. You may think it’s not the healthiest thing in the world, and I get it. But I want you to understand that being healthy is about balance. That should be our main focus.
It doesn’t matter if I eat some fried bacon if everything else is good food. It does matter that I can’t eat kilos of fried bacon, but everybody knows that. It’s common sense. Now, eating a few slices of fried bacon for breakfast is not going to make me fatter or less healthy. Again, the key is balance!
That said, let’s check the step-by-step?
AVOCADO TOAST WITH POACHED EGG RECIPE (2 units):
FOR THE AVOCADO TOAST:
- 2 slices of bread of your choice (I chose dark rye bread)
- 1 large avocado
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil to taste
- 2/3 drops vinegar
- Start by opening the avocado and removing the pulp. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Season the avocado with salt and pepper to taste. Here you can add whatever seasonings you like best. This time I only put salt and pepper because I wanted a simpler recipe. Set aside.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- In a frying pan, drizzle olive oil, and let it heat up. Add the bacon pieces and fry.
- Once fried, place the bacon pieces on kitchen paper so that the fat is absorbed.
- Heat water in a pot, with a few drops of vinegar. Once the water is hot, but not boiling, add the eggs one by one. The eggs should be added to the pot of water as if you were going to crack open an egg to fry.
- Let the eggs cook for 2/3 min or until the yolk is cooked to your liking (I like the yolk almost raw so that it “explodes” when you open it).
- Toast the bread in a toaster while letting the eggs cook.
- Finally, assemble your toast as follows: one slice of bread, place the avocado on top (as if you were spreading butter), and on top, place the poached egg. Repeat the process for the second avocado toast.
- Sprinkle the bacon on top of the eggs, so that it is visually appetizing.
Suggestion: On top of the avocado you can add chopped dried chilies. It will give it a slightly spicy touch and look wonderful!
If you prefer, you can place the whole bacon pieces on top of the avocado. If you do, place the poached egg on top of the bacon.
Another great ingredient is tomatoes. Try adding some tomato slices on top of the avocado. Or you can even replace the bacon with cherry tomatoes if you think it’s healthier. But don’t forget, the biggest secret is balance.