These Avocado and Poached Egg Waffles are perfect for brunch or a really quick lunch without going into a lot of trouble.
I love waffles, whether sweet, savory or whatever. But I especially like the salty ones.
In fact, everything salty for me is a must-try, and these avocado and poached egg waffles are no exception.
First, they are with avocado. That alone is a winner!
And guys, poached egg with liquid yolk? That’s all I want right now!
It’s not that I don’t like hard-boiled eggs, but for me, it’s much more umami to eat eggs with the yolk runny, and let the waffle absorb all that yolk.
Also, waffle batter gets even better if you let it rest. So it’s perfect to make it the previous day.
So at lunchtime, you just put the waffle maker to work and in a few minutes, your lunch is done.
Come on! Looks good, doesn’t it?
How do you make these Avocado with Poached Egg Waffles?
These Avocado and Poached Egg Waffles are a blast, how wonderful they are!
I advise you to beat the batter by hand so that it becomes super fluffy and light. But if you whip it in a mixer, no one dies from it. Practicality above all!
Let the batter rest for 30 min or, overnight. This way they are super fluffy inside and crispy outside.
You don’t need to grease the waffle maker since you will put olive oil in the batter unless your waffle maker is non-stick.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Oat flour
- Baking powder
- Olive oil
- Poached eggs
- Pickled onion
What tricks will ensure that these Avocado with Poached Egg Waffles taste just right?
- Use eggs at room temperature and beat the egg whites well. If you need to, add 2 or 3 drops of lemon, so that the egg whites stiffen perfectly. It’s not really necessary (be as practical as possible!), but it helps to make them fluffier.
- Once you add all the ingredients together, add the baking powder and egg whites, and don’t beat the batter too much. The idea is that all the air incorporated in the egg whites will make your waffles super fluffy and light.
- Let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes.
- When you pour the batter in the waffle maker, make sure it is very hot, so that your waffles are crispy on the outside.
Let’s check the step-by-step?
Avocado and Poached Egg Waffles
- 2 cups oat flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ sliced avocado by waffle
- 1 poached egg by waffle
- Arugula to taste
- Pickled onions to taste
- Basil to decorate
- Mix the flour with the salt in a bowl and stir well.
- Add the milk and olive oil and stir again.
- Separate the yolks from the whites and beat the egg whites. Set aside.
- Add the egg yolks to the bowl and fold them into the mixture.
- Add the egg whites and baking powder and fold them into the mixture.
- Pour ladles of the batter into the waffle maker once it is very hot.
- Let them cook for 2 to 3 min or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Repeat the process until you finish the dough.
- Assemble in layers: arugula, poached egg, and pickled onion.
- Finally, add the basil.
- Serve with sliced avocado.